These are some thoughts from Valerie Yule, a regular OLO author.
Hockey could cut
* middle class welfare e.g. parental payments at the rate of usual income, even if high. All payments at the lowest rate.
*payments for buyers of first housing as that only makes housing prices higher, and rewards the owners of housing
*baby bonuses after the second child, as that rewards people with more children than they can cope with
*some of the white beneficiaries of white organizations to help aborigines
*defence spending on so many submarines and expensive airplanes.
*numbers of staffers that members of Parliament can have
*government cars kept small and changed less often
*government advertising that could be replaced with media News that doesn’t have to be paid for
* election costs by making sensible voting laws – e.g. you can vote for 4 candidates above the line in Senate elections.
* education costs only to bring the lowest government schools up to medium income of all schools
* prevent sectarian segregation and social dislocations by no government payments to religious schools – I realise that this is out of the question!
He could make higher taxes
*for the wealthy
*introduce death duties
*companies not treated the same as individuals
*for tobacco and alcohol
* advertising where juveniles can see it.
He could nationalise all lotteries and gambling so that the nation would get all profits = billions.
No CEOs or directors to have total incomes over $1million – government to have the residue from former sums.
* Cut traffic congestion by not allowing closing and selling of city schools which prevent all children being able to walk to a government school.
* Keep Medicare Private which can pay every year, and helps keep premiums of competing insurance schemes down
* Find some way of making single-person large cars pay. (A second small car should be possible – shared, perhaps)
*No subsidies for growing rice, which water-short Australia should not grow.
* Schools only have to get new textbooks for old subjects every three years or longer, unless a conceptual breakthrough occurs.
* People are warned that in a later budget they will have to pay more themselves for hospital treatment if through alcohol, tobacco, fighting, adult diabetes, obesity.